While one is going about his or her busy day, the last thing to expect is an injury from a slip and fall accident. Nevertheless, slip and falls can happen anywhere, at any time and to anyone. If you or someone you know has been injured in a slip and fall due to a wet surface, below are several steps you should take in order to preserve your case.
Steps To Take To Preserve Your Slip and Fall Case
- Seek medical attention immediately: while some slip and fall injuries may seem minor, they can be deceptive as often symptoms get worse as time passes. Of course, more serious injuries should be treated right away. Whether your injury is serious or minor, it is important to have a medical professional examine and treat you immediately;
- Record, record, record: since camera phones are commonplace, make sure you or someone you are with takes photos of the accident scene. Things that should be captured include whether or not there was liquid on the floor, if a warning sign was posted, as well as other useful photographs of the scene. Make sure to not only include the area of the fall but the path leading up to it;
- Consider your surroundings: slip and fall accidents can happen anywhere such as a restaurant, grocery store aisle, parking lot, store or mall, or condo common areas. In order to figure out who may be responsible for your injuries you need to know who owns the property, who is responsible for maintenance, and who manages it. Clues can often be obtained from posted signs and notices on the property;
- Find witnesses: if you are able to, look for people who saw the accident before leaving the scene. Approach these individuals and ask for help as possible witnesses for your accident. Information you should gather from them may include names, phone numbers, email and mailing address;
- Call the authorities: do not leave the accident scene without first contacting the police and obtaining an officer’s written report. This will likely be needed to substantiate the injury claim and can be used to support a claim for monetary damages such as lost wages or pain and suffering; and
- Report the accident to the property manager: whenever you are injured on another’s property, you should notify the manager and obtain an accident reporting detailing what happened.
If you have been harmed in a slip and fall, speak with an experienced personal injury lawyer before filing a claim to learn about some issues that may arise as a result of the accident. The legal professionals at the Law Offices of Jeffrey Kestenbaum take on any type of accident case that involves injuries and focuses on representing individuals who have suffered serious injuries due to the negligence of another. Call (718) 237-5586 or click here today to schedule your initial, free, case evaluation.